Welcome to another episode of the "higher healths Podcast," I'm your host Nigel O'Quinn!
Today's topic is on weight loss pills. Should you take them, are they worth it, do they work, are they healthy? Lot's of questions that folks have related to weight loss pills, and who can blame them. We live in an entire microwave generation where we want results, and we want them now, or yesterday. We don't do waiting anymore, so, opens the door for tons of great answers, all found in a pill! Right?
Well, let's dig into this topic today and find out if the shredded lean body is all so perfectly packaged in a pill.
This was both fun, and scary to get into the world of shortcut weight loss products. There are just so many of them out there! It's amazing.
So we're talking about an industry, the supplement industry that is approximately 30 Billion dollars in revenue annually, 85% percent of those people were female. So, people across the globe are spending money to lose weight. With so many supplements to grab from, let's talk about a few of today's leading choices that you would find if you walked into a store to make a purchase.
With these supplements they all have similarities, or in some cases are pretty much the same. You have to give them credit. The marketing is pure genius, after all, you don't sell north of 30 billion dollars with poor sales pitches. Here are some of the phases and names of the stages these products bring you through, with a couple of the trademark names too.
Energy and Fat Mobilizer phases
Appetite Balancing phases
Weight management control phases
Anti Stress Mood Balancer
Water Shedding Diuretic Complex
Digestive Enzyme Aid
Concentrated Feel-Good Thermogenic Blend
Extreme Muscle Fuel
Pretty darn impressive stuff right!
Well, let's look at these top sellers and have a look at what they can do, along with some of the ingredients that make all change happen.
1. HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, is a hormone present at high levels in early pregnancy. It claims to boost metabolism all while suppressing your appetite. It contains African mango extract. However, the diet that accompanies this exogenous supplement is a whopping 500 calories per day. That's why people lose weight! They starve, that sounds like a great time and sustainable for long-term results.
So, the HCG diet uses a combination of HCG and starvation-level calorie intake to achieve dramatic weight loss.
2. Garcinia Cambogia Extract-This is a green fruit native to Indonesia; the part marketed as a diet pill comes from the skin of the fruit that contains hydroxycitric acid or HCA. Made famous by Dr. Oz back in 2012, the diet pill claims to inhibit fat-producing enzymes, suppress appetite, and reduce cravings.
However, based on other findings of this magical diet pill, it really should be known more for its ability to empty your bowels, allowing you to effectively ship your pants. So, ultimately it's not fat loss were talking about with this one, it's just weight that was otherwise being held in your bowels that gives the impression to folks that it's really working.
3. Hydroxycut- We have to mention this one, it's been on the market for a very long time, over a decade now and is still one of the most popular. Hydroxycut is a bundle of caffeine, along with a few other plant extracts. There's always something to be said about a pill that you can take and have it feel like your heart is going to jump out of your chest while you're chilling out and just sitting. Pretty intense stuff. That's really what a thermogenic is all about though, increasing your basal metabolic rate thereby increasing energy expenditure. Regarding results, anyone losing weight with a thermogenic gets the benefit of being ultra aware that they are trying to shed extra pounds. It's hard to forget when you're flying high on so much caffeine, and so then they probably make better food choices and are much more motivated to exercise as well. So no doubt, you should be able to lose some weight with this one, which is why it's been on the market for so long, and so many have duplicated what Hydroxycut has done. Long-term results, don't look so reliable, however. Regarding health, keeping up this ramped up caffeine intake will ensure that you age rapidly while taxing out your adrenal glands potentially harming their ability to secrete hormones for you.
Otherwise, side effects of a product like this, you may experience anxiety, jitteriness, tremors, nausea, diarrhea, and irritability. What!? Yet again, another product making people ship their pants, I'm beginning to think that weight loss is just who goes to the bathroom more.
4. Orlistat or Alli - This is a pharmaceutical drug sold over-the-counter under the name Alli, and under prescription as Xenical. Orlistat is a weight loss pill that decreases the amount of fat you consume by inhibiting the breakdown of fat in the gut. Thus you consume fewer calories from fat. It's a pill that is recommended with a low-fat diet. Now, some results have shown with this one, not much but some. Research has shown some success in some instances, but it's worth mentioning that the amount is low, as in approximately 6-8 pounds compared to no pill in the tested time. Side effects reveal that no one has fun in life with Orlistat though. The many highly unpleasant side effects include the inability to absorb Vitamins A, D, E, and K, uh oh, digestive side effects, loose oily stools! Flatulence, and frequent shipping of pants that are hard to control.
5. Meratrim - Another, famous by Dr. Oz show weight loss pill that by his word and I quote is a "groundbreaking weight loss supplement." Made by a group of researchers hungry to invent a new weight loss supplement. By taking a bunch of herbs and narrowing it down to two herbs, Sphaeranthus Indicus and Garcinia mangostana, they claim that within test tubes they were able to create a combination that makes it difficult for fat cells to multiply, and easy to metabolize so that fat is more readily available for energy. Key factors, this worked in the test tubes, and this is typically not how it works precisely in the complex human body. The research test performed on 100 humans was kept to the obese subjects only consuming 2000 calories, again making it too difficult to know what it was that was indeed working towards their weight loss, the restricted calories, or the new and improved fat metabolizing effect of the Meratrim. Great news aside from all else, no side effects, improved triglycerides, and reduced blood sugar. While that's not a major deal, it's better than the other options regarding side effects so far.
Ingredients, while many companies love to try and stand out from others by making something new and revolutionary with blends that extend the burn, maximize the metabolic effects of fat, stimulate the breakdown of fat, and suppress appetites. Ultimately the majority of the top fat burners are all using the same ingredients give or take one or two. These ingredients are caffeine, yohimbine to increase blood flow, green tea extract, green coffee bean extract, CLA, L-Carnitine to enhance fat burn and ease the body's access to fat for energy, synephrine to increase metabolic rate and suppress appetite, caffeine anhydrous, cayenne pepper extract to boost metabolic activity and suppress appetite, L-Tyrosine to ramp up dopamine and epinephrine.
Notice how much caffeine is in all of these products, a tremendous amount. Caffeine without a doubt is fantastic for increasing metabolism, thus great for weight loss. Just another reason to enjoy your cup of coffee.
Now, the caffeine anhydrous on the other hand is also well worth mentioning. What is caffeine anhydrous? It's a highly concentrated caffeine powder, and according to the FDA, a single teaspoon of this is the equivalent of 28 cups of coffee.
So no wonder you are sweating and your heart is going a hundred miles an hour while you are relaxing. This can be quite dangerous stuff indeed, and unfortunately, some folks have found this the hard way.
To wrap this up, many of these supplements have some great ingredients in them, but overall, they also contain many ingredients at amounts that cause stress to the body, and ultimately, long-term use not recommended for great health. As for short-term, they play a bit of trickery on the mind. First off, the crapping of your pants. People focused on the number on a weight scale are instantly motivated, their bowels just emptied and they are now 2 pounds lighter just like that! Success! Who would have thought that many trips to the bathroom would do such wonders? Unfortunately, that weight loss has nothing to do with fat loss.
Secondly, suppressing the appetite. This is also a quick answer to weight loss to keep people motivated, it's just merely less caloric intake, but again, this is not sustainable, nor is it fat loss.
With a proper diet consisting healthy food choices, exercise, proper sleep, and a quality multi-vitamin to fill any food gaps you can ensure you are healthy, achieve or maintain weight or better yet a look you want, in a relatively short period you can accomplish this, plus the results can stay for the long term. Ultimately, that would be my choice; it sure does make the life you want much more comfortable to attain, without spending the money to arrive at a cardiac arrest point.
I hope you enjoyed this episode of the higher healths podcast; I appreciate you listening in! Take care, talk to you all again real soon.
Okay, let's touch on the take away here. I do not endorse, nor do I support any of these weight loss supplements or the diet that accompany's any of them. While I truly believe in losing weight with health in mind, which consists of exercise, quality sleep, and great nutrition. There is room for caffeine via coffee, tea, or chocolate if you enjoy and feel great consuming those. I don't believe in any of the supplements that I covered, and I don't think you should either. These are supplements with short-term goals in mind, not long-term healthy goals for the best results possible.
However, I know that some of you are still going to go ahead and look for a stimulant that may aid in fat loss, regardless of the information I shared here today, and that's okay. Now, if you do choose to go ahead with a supplement, here are my suggestions. Enjoy some coffee or tea, not 8 cups a day, 1-2 is plenty of caffeine to help you out with fat metabolism. Too much stimulant can potentially harm your hormone output, and get in the way of sleep. Creatine, if you are working out, and working out with a fair bit of intensity, you may find the benefits that creatine offers with the support of lean muscle mass.
Now, that's all I have for you today; I hope you enjoyed this episode!
I want to thank you so much for listening in, make sure to review the podcast, let me know what you think, I appreciate it so much and look forward to bringing, even more, content your way soon, I'm out!